Friday 12 September 2014

Scary Edgar Allan Poe Raven Inspired Canvas September Inspiration Board entry for Scraps of Elegance/Darkness on Facebook


With Halloween just around the corner I finally decided to put this on my blog even though I have been holding it back.  However I decided to publish it now because next month will be all scary, ghouly and witchy LOL!!!

Scraps of Elegance Scraps of Darkness Scrapbook Store has an amazing owner in Melinda and this month her Inspiration Board was perfect for this so it's going to be my second entry for this month on Facebook!! 

I absolutely adore the concept of Inspiration Boards because I really don't think that I am very good at doing layouts according to Sketches but I love making pieces like this.


The Supplies I Used
I don't remember everything that I used but here is some that I do.

Canvas 8" x 8"
Tim Holtz Bigz Die Boo 31
Tim Holtz Bigz Raven and Scaredy Cat
Tim Holtz Bats Mover and Shapers
Black Gesso and Black Paint
Hot Glue and Hot Glue Gun
Heavy Mixed Medium Gel Liquitex or Golden
Tim Holtz Grungeboard
Tim Holtz Grungepaper
Tim Holtz Mirrored Sheets
8" x 8" Piece of Diamante Trim from a local Drapery
Finnabair Prima Mechanicals including Metal Caps/Metal Brads/Metal Washers/Gears/Vintage Setters/Metal Flowers/Mechanical Roses/Clock Face/Roman Numerals/Mechanical Flowers etc
Tim Holtz Idea'ology Arrows/Nature Adornments/Brads/Alpha Chips/Monocle Findings/Crossbones/Mirrored Stars/Wishbones/Enameled Tags/Buttons/Knobs etc
Prima Junkyard Findings Zippers/Nuts and Boltz/Lamp post/Street Signs/Jeans Plates etc
Wood Buttons
Wood Embellishments
Ranger Crackle Accents
Lindy Stamp Gang Magicals and Sprays in Time Travel Teal, Red Hot Poker Orange, Autumn Maple Crimson, Scramin' Banshee Black, Witch's Potion Purple, Hag's Wart Orange, Cowabunga Copper, Gag Me With A Spoon Gray,  Whale Watch Blue, Tweedle Dee Denim, Queen of Hearts Red,  Cheshire Cat Cherry, Salt Water Taffy, Hydrangea Blue, Azure Sea Asters, Sea Mint Green, Tea Pot Purple, Sweet Violet Purple Teal, Bougainvillea Fuchsia, Jazzy Jivin Purple, Danny Zuko Denim, Delphinium Turquoise, A bit o'Bubbly, Creme Brulee Cream.
Light Lutradur
Prima Flowers With Long Stems
Tim Holtz Sanding Tool
Tim Holtz Distress Paint Brushed Pewter


 If you look under the number and bats that there is a studded texture that I used as the base of my piece.  I started by painting the entire canvas in Black Paint and then placed the studded lattice cloth and glued it to the entire canvas with gel medium and then when it was dry I painted it all in black again.  When it was dry, I started adhering a Prima Vine Flower to the left and then pulled the vine around and off the canvas and that became the level of dimension that I wanted. 



 It is a little difficult to see from the angle of this photo but if you look to the upper left you can see a bat that has the tips of it's wings almost touching and what you can't tell is that the bat is glued on the raised vine. 



I worked almost exclusively after this using the hot glue gun and then when I glued all the different findings to the canvas I then used lots of hot glue to look like webbing and cobwebs and gave it a real spooky feel to it.  With thicker hot glue 'vines' I gave the impression of old overgrown and dark vines almot like it was forgotten.






 I used Grungepaper to die cut the Bats and Grungeboard to die cut the Raven painted them black and when dry apply crackle and let everything dry naturally to the Raven and I did not apply crackle accents to all of the bats

For the Boo and the No. 31 I used the Mirrored Sheets and I feel you should run it through your Big Shot (by far the best manual and versatile die-cutting machine) and remember to remove the clear plastic covering off and sanded it down to mute the shine in order to keep the overall theme of it.


Once I was happy with everything, I started applying all the different Magicals wetted with a gel medium and just built up the colour until I was happy with the overall look then I  pulled strands of lutradur apart and then built up the grey white colour of the cobwebs and that was it really.  I really enjoyed the process and I am happy with how it came out altogether.











Let me know what you think and tell me on Facebook or here what you are doing to celebrate Halloween.

Hugs

Celina











2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Celina , all your textures and colours are so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the detail Celina, what a fantastic spooky halloween art! Kate x

    ReplyDelete